EJF WORKS TO:
1. End pirate fishing in West Africa through community surveillance and by promoting transboundary cooperation.
2. End human trafficking, labour and human rights abuses aboard the world’s fishing fleet.
3. Ensure that international measures to combat IUU fishing are developed, ratified, implemented and strictly enforced. This includes the EU IUU regulation, the Port State Measures Agreement and the Global Record of fishing vessels.
4. Promote flag State responsibility and an end to the exploitation of Flags of Convenience.
5. Engage directly with both authorities and local fishing communities in West Africa to develop Marine Protected Areas that are both locally appropriate and sustainable.
6. Empower grassroots organisations, providing training in filmmaking and advocacy that enables them to promote marine conservation and combat pirate fishing.
EJF OCEANS CAMPAIGN MISSION:
Campaigning for environmental security and the protection of human rights.
EJF's Oceans Campaign aims to eradicate Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) or 'pirate' fishing.
We are working to create full transparency and traceability within seafood supply chains and markets.
We actively promote improvements to policy-making, corporate governance and management of fisheries along with consumer activism and market driven solutions.
Our ambition is to secure truly sustainable, well-managed fisheries and with this the protection and effective conservation of marine biodiversity and ecosystems.
EJF believes that there must be greater equity in global fisheries to ensure developing countries and vulnerable communities are given fair access and support to sustainably manage their natural marine resources.
We believe in working collaboratively with all stakeholders to achieve these goals.