EJF, a dynamic environmental and human rights NGO, is seeking an intern to support its work on its Oceans Campaign.
EJF works to combat illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing through gathering evidence on illegal fishing activities and use this information to inform its campaigning work to improve transparency and global fisheries governance.
Alongside gathering evidence in the field of potential illegal vessels, EJF undertakes desk-based investigations into both individual IUU vessels and trends of illegal fishing.
The EJF Oceans team is looking for a volunteer interested in supporting this work through a structured, three-month internship. The volunteer will receive training in how to identify and document IUU fishing and will then be given areas of responsibility, reporting to and supported by an experienced EJF staff member.
Successful applicants will be:
- Organised: Able to manage time efficiently and deal with several projects concurrently
- Interested and knowledgeable: Though a background in fisheries is not required, the applicants should have a demonstrable interest and engagement in environmental or human rights issues.
- Able to conduct research: EJF’s investigative and campaigning works includes a large amount of desk-based research.
- Eager to learn: The first weeks of the internship will be a structured period of training in EJF's methods.
- IT literate: EJF uses a range of software to undertake its work in this area. Candidates will be required to use a personal computer or laptop for the duration of the internship.
- Motivated: In recent years, many EJF interns have gone on to join the organisation as staff and work at other NGOs.
Expenses: This is an unpaid placement. Whilst it is expected that the entirety of the placement will be undertaken virtually, should travel be required, travel within London (Zones 1 – 4) and daily lunch expenses (on days if/when travel is required) will be covered. Candidates are required to volunteer three days a week.
Location: The successful candidate will be required to work from home due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
How to apply: Applicants should submit a CV and detailed covering letter explaining why they are the right person for this role to email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 31st January 2021. Start date: As soon as possible
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.