Call for Expression of interest: safeguarding audit of EJF’s projects/programmes in Liberia
Duration: 35 days
Expected Start Date: 25 September 2023
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) exists to protect the natural world and defend our basic human right to a secure environment.
EJF works internationally to inform policy and drive systemic, durable reforms to protect our environment and defend human rights. We investigate and expose abuses and support environmental defenders, Indigenous peoples, communities and independent journalists on the frontlines of environmental injustice. Our campaigns aim to secure peaceful, equitable and sustainable futures.
This document outlines the Terms of Reference (ToR) for a consultant to conduct a safeguarding audit of EJF’s projects in Liberia.
EJF’s safeguarding policy and accompanying implementation standards aim to ensure that safeguarding measures are integrated into all core systems, processes and practices in all parts of EJF. This includes keeping children, at-risk adults and beneficiaries safe in programmes by ensuring safeguarding risks and possible negative consequences resulting from programme and advocacy initiative activities are identified and addressed throughout the programme/project cycle.
The consultant will assess the EJF and its partners’ project compliance with safeguarding policies and procedures, identify potential concerns, gaps or weaknesses, and make recommendations for improvement.
The safeguarding audit will focus on how EJF and partners have ensured the safety and protection of vulnerable individuals who may come into contact with the EJF and its partners’ activities on projects/programmes led or supported by EJF.
Purpose of the assignment
The purpose of the assignment is to engage the services of a consultant to undertake a review of EJF’s safeguarding processes in Liberia, identify gaps and address these gaps through the implementation of tasks set out under Section 4 of the ToR “Scope of work”.
The objectives of this consultancy are to:
- Assess the organisation's compliance and that of its partners with safeguarding policies, procedures, and relevant legal and ethical standards.
- Identify any gaps, weaknesses, or potential risks related to safeguarding within the organisation and its partners.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of safeguarding training, reporting mechanisms, and response procedures.
- Provide recommendations to strengthen the organisation's safeguarding framework and improve its capacity to prevent and respond to safeguarding incidents.
The safeguarding audit will follow the methodology:
Review of Documentation:
- Obtain and review all relevant safeguarding policies, procedures, guidelines, and frameworks.
- Assess EJF's staff handbook, staff/volunteer contracts, and other relevant documentation
- Conduct interviews with key stakeholders, including staff members, volunteers, beneficiaries, and partners.
- Gather insights on their understanding of safeguarding policies, training received, and reporting mechanisms.
- Seek feedback on the organisation's culture, practices, and responsiveness to safeguarding concerns.
- Develop EJF safeguarding training materials, modules, and delivery methods.
- Evaluate the accessibility, comprehensiveness, and frequency of training provided to staff and volunteers.
- Review records of training attendance and assess the effectiveness of training evaluation mechanisms.
- Evaluate EJF and partners’ reporting channels for safeguarding concerns, including confidentiality and accessibility.
- Assess the clarity of reporting procedures and the support provided to individuals making reports.
- Review the documentation and follow-up processes related to reported safeguarding incidents if applicable.
- Identify potential risks and vulnerabilities within EJF and partners’ activities, operations, and external relationships.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of risk mitigation strategies and safeguards.
- Assess EJF and partners’ ability to identify emerging risks and adapt safeguarding measures accordingly.
- Review EJF’s partnerships and collaborations, assessing the safeguarding practices of external entities.
- Recommend due diligence processes for vetting and monitoring partners' safeguarding capacities.
- Assess EJF’s engagement with relevant external stakeholders, such as regulatory bodies or networks.
Analysis and Reporting:
- Analyse the findings from the review, stakeholder engagements, and assessments conducted.
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, gaps, and areas for improvement within EJF’s safeguarding framework.
- Provide clear and actionable recommendations for strengthening safeguarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Presentation and Dissemination:
- Prepare a comprehensive safeguarding audit report summarising the findings, analysis, and recommendations.
- Present the audit report to EJF’s management team and relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate discussions and answer questions regarding the findings and recommendations.
Follow-up and Monitoring:
- Support EJF in developing an action plan to address the identified recommendations.
- Provide guidance on implementing the recommended improvements.
- Offer ongoing support and consultation as needed during the implementation phase.
Scope of work
The selected consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Review and analyse the organisation's safeguarding policies, procedures, and relevant documentation.
- Conduct interviews and consultations with key stakeholders, including staff members, volunteers, beneficiaries, and partners, to gather information and insights.
- Review the effectiveness of safeguarding reporting mechanisms, including the confidentiality, accessibility, and responsiveness of reporting channels.
- Evaluate the organisation's procedures for investigating safeguarding incidents and the support provided to victims/survivors.
- Identify potential risks or vulnerabilities within the organisation's activities, operations, or external relationships that could impact safeguarding.
- Benchmark the organisation's safeguarding practices against recognised industry standards and best practices.
The deliverables must include the following:
- A comprehensive safeguarding audit report detailing the findings, analysis, and recommendations–including ongoing training programmes for staff and partners.
- A presentation to the organisation's management team and partners to share the audit findings and recommendations.
- A clear and actionable safeguarding improvement plan, including prioritised recommendations, suggested timelines, and responsible parties.
The consultant will complete the activities listed below within 35 contract days and not later than November 2023
Number of days
Notification of successful consultant
Signing of contract
Desk-based analysis: Review of documents and other sources of information
Stakeholder consultation: Plan, design, and coordinate the data collection process
Technical report on the national consultation
Drafting safeguarding audit report
First draft of report
Presentation of findings
Findings presented to EJF and partners
Submit final report
Final safeguarding audit report
Total number of days
- Any information and records gathered will be confidential and utilised exclusively for analytical purposes.
- If required, the participants will not be cited in the documents without their consent.
- All individuals working with EJF are required to sign and adhere to the safeguarding policy.
Qualification, experience, and skills
- Demonstrable experience in safeguarding auditing with international NGOs or development agencies
- Ability to research and write at a high level
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience in facilitating training of personnel/staff
- Experience working in Liberia strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently and produce high-quality outputs in a timely manner while understanding and anticipating the evolving client needs
- Demonstrate integrity by modelling EJF’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
To apply for this opportunity, please submit the following documents:
- An expression of interest detailing their interpretation of the TOR and work schedule.
- A detailed budget for proposed costs, including all taxes liable to be paid
- A capability statement demonstrating how they meet the required qualifications and competencies.
- If a sole applicant, Copies of Curriculum Vitae (CVs).
- Two references (including one from your last client/employer).
- N/B: The entire bid should be a maximum of seven (7) pages, including the budget.
- Bids must meet this requirement to be considered.
- Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for submission of EOI: 8 Sept 2023. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
- Candidates must have the ability to undertake fieldwork in Liberia.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity within the workplace. We encourage applications from females and marginalised groups. Any questions regarding the required work can be submitted to Cephas Asare - email@example.com.