Campaigns Press Officer
Based: EJF office in Bath, London or Brussels
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary range: 35,000-40,000 (dependent upon experience)
- Private healthcare package
- Generous pension rising with each year of service
- Generous annual leave allowance increasing for each year of service, plus 1 personal day per year
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Life insurance
- Home working 2 days per week (after completion of 6 month trial period) Initially during Covid-19 remote working
This is a varied and fast-paced role for an experienced Press Officer with an excellent network of contacts within the international press, especially on climate, oceans and forests beats. We are looking for someone with a passion for EJF’s campaigns and the drive, contacts and skills to get them into the high-profile media. You will create individual communications campaigns around our major film and report launches, working across all EJF’s campaigns to strategically target communication to key press targets. You will be a superb strategic and tactical thinker and will have a proven ability to understand key audiences and develop media campaigns to reach them. You will write photo essays, opinion pieces, press releases and other materials to maximise our outreach and impact.
- Create media moments around EJF’s report launches, working closely with campaigners to create a network of contacts to drive coverage to strategically targeted audiences.
- Research new outlets that target specific audiences to publish EJF pieces
- Propose creative ideas for opinion pieces, photo essays and blogs, and get these published in key target publications.
- Build on your existing network of journalists by developing relationships with staff writers and editors to reach new audiences
- Write press releases, blogs and news
- Research, contact and interview influencers to increase EJF’s reach
- Help with EJF’s media tracking evaluation processes
Essential skills and attributes:
- Minimum 5 years of communications and/or press relations experience.
- Network of journalist contacts including across high-profile international publications
- Excellent copywriting skills and the ability to identify a ‘good story’
- Ability to adapt writing style to attract and engage a range of different audiences
- Creativity and drive to seek out new opportunities to promote EJF’s work
- Great attention to detail and factual accuracy.
- Reliable, determined, self-motivated, resourceful and able to work effectively with a small, dynamic team.
- Outstanding organisational skills, able to work quickly to deliver content, including responding to news and opportunities, and prioritise under tight deadlines.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Understanding of international policy regarding fisheries, climate change and forests.
- Experience using Adobe creative suites
- Understanding of SEO techniques
- Proficiency in French, Spanish or other language of a key EU Member State
Applications: please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this job and where you saw this ad to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 6th December 2020
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.