Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Based: Cape Coast, Ghana
Closing date for applications: 6th February 2023
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: dependent on experience
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is a UK-based non-governmental organisation working to secure a world where natural habitats and environments can sustain, and be sustained by, the communities that depend upon them for their basic needs and livelihoods. EJF is dynamic, agile and effective, and the team works across 13 countries in Africa, Asia and Europe.
EJF is working to eradicate illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and associated issues, such as human rights abuses. To do this, we work with governments and industry to promote transparency and traceability within seafood supply chains and markets. We conduct detailed investigations into illegal, unsustainable and unethical practices and actively promote improvements to policy-making, corporate governance and the management of fisheries along with raising awareness among consumers to incentivise market-driven solutions.
EJF’s global team also work on a range of other campaigns where environmental insecurity impact human rights. These include climate, forests, cotton and activist training. More information can be found at https://ejfoundation.org. In Africa, EJF has projects in Ghana, Liberia, Cameroon, and Senegal.
In Ghana, EJF is leading a consortium of NGOs to implement a NORAD-sponsored project which goal is to achieve a resilient and sustainable ocean economy through inclusive, strong, and effective capacity, planning and management of coastal ecosystems.
We are seeking a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist who is passionate about protecting the marine environment and the livelihoods of coastal communities. The M&E Specialist will lead the development of M&E frameworks that capture project performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all project activities of the consortium. The successful candidate will be a determined and motivated person who has working knowledge and understanding of M&E systems in a consortium and can lead the tracking and analysis of data for multiple projects. They will be energetic and proactive and able to work effectively with partner organisations to ensure the success of projects. This position will be based in our Cape Coast project office but include close working with our partner NGOs who operate across all four coastal regions of Ghana.
- Lead the development of M&E Systems for all projects in the Ghana office in line with donor requirements
- Oversee the development and implementation of a Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) to capture project results, including routine data collection , baseline and endline assessments, and all process and outcome evaluations—flagging up areas requiring the attention of the team.
- Ensure the project’s results framework is linked to a plan and a system that supplies managers and other stakeholders with reliable information about the progress of all projects.
- Identify, analyse, and report on internal or external factors that might impede implementation or have a negative influence on the achievement of project results.
- Lead efforts to monitor and evaluate project interventions, document results and provide feedback to the senior management team to guide decision-making
- Ensure M&E officers of partner organisations in any consortium provide timely reports on agreed metrics and key performance indicators of the project.
- Work with the Programme Managers and consultants in conducting mid-term and end of project evaluations.
- Assist the Programme Managers in preparing Quarterly/half-yearly and Annual project reports.
- Conduct targeted evaluations and snap operations for rapid appraisals of the project.
- Work with project and financial staff to prepare and track progress of project and activity budgets
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
Required Qualification & Experience
- BSc/BA Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Development Studies, Project management or a related field of studies with minimum of five years of work experience in the sector and in similar positions
- Familiar with using logical planning models in the design and improvement of monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Experienced in defining key performance indicators, establishing baselines, and setting targets for development projects
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, operations research, management information systems, data quality assessments, data analysis and presentation and setting up and managing M&E systems in a consortium
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple partners in both the NGO and the public sectors
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports
- Broad experience in the design and implementation of capacity building activities in M&E
- Creative, innovative and problem-solving capabilities
- Commitment to protecting the marine environment and the communities that depend on it
To apply please send your CV and a short covering letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate to email@example.com before 06, February 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.