Net Free Seas Project Assistant
Based: EJF office in Bangkok (with frequent travel within Thailand)
Contract: Fixed-term for 1 year (potentially renewable or convertible to a permanent position, subject to performance review)
Salary range: 35,000 – 47,000 baht per month, dependent on experience
This position is open to Thai citizens only.
EJF is working in Thailand to end illegal fishing and human rights abuses on fishing vessels and actively promote improvements to policy- making, corporate governance and management of fisheries and coastal areas. As part of this we are launching a ‘Net Free Seas’ project to end the practice of discarding fishing nets at sea or on the coast, where they cause damage to ecosystems.
We are looking for a new member of the team to deliver this project. This position will include engaging with local fishing communities, recycling companies, and Thai government agencies to deliver key project objectives including: researching new fishing communities to become part of the project, engaging with community members and local leaders to facilitate understanding and participation, as well as coordinating the retrieval and subsequent collection of discarded/waste fishing nets.
Successful candidates should be comfortable working independently, be confident in public speaking, have access to a vehicle, and be prepared to travel within Thailand.
Essential skills and experience:
- Fluency in Thai and English
- A degree in any relevant discipline (journalism, social science, environmental science, marine sciences, plastic pollution or marine-based debris, etc)
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience (community development, journalism, NGOs, private sector, field work, etc)
- Demonstrable experience forming and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to use desk-based internet research to gather information
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, etc)
- Car driving licence and access to vehicle.
- Professional proficiency in English language strongly preferred
Desirable skills and experience:
- A higher degree in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrable interest in or experience working on any of the following topics; marine conservation issues; fisheries issues; plastic pollution; plastic recycling; waste management.
- Professional camera experience (film or photography)
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in conducting similar projects
Deadline: 10th April 2020 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Please submit a CV with covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.