Come and help us make a difference
1. West Africa Programme Coordinator
As the Environmental Justice Foundation’s (EJF) West Africa Programme Coordinator, you will give oversight, guidance and support to an expanding portfolio and team working to protect marine wildlife and coastal communities in West Africa. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the role offers substantial scope for career development within a dynamic and effective international campaign team.
Based in London, with an option to be based in Bristol or Bath.
The role will require regular travel to West Africa (4 – 6 times annually) and on occasion to other international destinations.
Salary range: £36,000 - £45,000 (inclusive of £3,700 London weighting). Pension, a comprehensive healthcare package and generous holiday entitlement.
This is a permanent role.
EJF’s Oceans Campaign Mission is to protect the marine environment, its biodiversity and the livelihoods dependent upon it.
In West Africa, EJF is working to eradicate illegal fishing, promote sustainable and community co-managed fisheries and marine protected areas (MPAs), and deliver specific new protections for vulnerable and threatened species including sharks, rays and turtles.
As the Coordinator, you will support the expansion of our programme for transparency across all sections of fisheries supply chains and to build stronger, more robust and effective fisheries governance in West Africa and globally.
You will be responsible for staff and project management and the attainment of agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) in our priority countries, with particular focus on Ghana and Liberia. The role will involve close liaison with colleagues in the EU, West Africa and Asia, ensuring effective communications and information-sharing on the campaign and grassroots achievements.
- Oversee and guide members of the EJF team working in West Africa, helping to ensure they are best supported to achieve their goals and develop capacities while providing detailed Monitoring and Evaluation to the Executive Director.
- Provide support for capacity-building in West Africa across local communities, statutory agencies, specifically employing the use of new technologies.
- Support the work of EJF’s Fisheries Information Network (FIN), collaborating with the Global Oceans Campaigner and other members of the team to gather and share information on illegal fishing, wildlife conservation needs and sustainable fisheries.
- Support the development of the Oceans Campaign in monitoring and evaluations and detailed reporting to funders/preparing funding proposals and presentations.
- Undertake research and produce reports and policy briefings, and support the digital communications and media engagement.
- Represent EJF’s work in public-facing events and in private meetings, including with international agencies, EU Commission and national governments.
- Undertake field research and investigations in Africa (and potentially in other regions including Asia and Europe), gathering evidence, film and photos.
- Provide valuable feedback and reporting that will help guide EJF’s future strategy and planned actions in the region.
As the successful candidate, you:
- Have a relevant degree and a proven track record (at least 4 years’ experience) of leading and delivering high quality development and/or conservation projects and implementing advocacy programmes that show measurable impact.
- Understand and have experience of institutional donors, grant and budget reporting; you are able to write compelling funding proposals and time-bound reporting.
- Are a strong and dynamic leader able to mentor and motivate to get the best from EJF’s local team and project partners, whilst being flexible to changing needs and opportunities. You are able to work effectively under pressure and in remote situations and to ensure that your team is equipped, motivated and well-managed.
- Have superb oral and written communication skills, able to deliver winning presentations to diverse high level audiences, media and to local partners.
- Understand budgets and the need for efficient use of resources; creating results-driven actions, through effective monitoring and evaluation of impact.
- Are a proven researcher, able to collate information to produce effective reports, policy briefings, films and digital content.
- Are resourceful, able to bring skills in capacity building, training and relationship management to ensure the long-term impact and durability of the programme.
- Are a great negotiator, able to be diplomatic and tactful even under pressure. You have good cross-cultural awareness and a genuine interest in working with communities to improve their lives and protect their environment.
- Share a genuine commitment to EJF, its mission and goals of protecting people, wildlife and our shared planet.
Our mission is to protect people and planet. If you share our vision and have the skills and commitment to make a difference, please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No other communication please; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 5pm Monday 10th July 2017
2. Oceans Campaigner
| Seoul-based |
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is looking for highly motivated campaigner based in Seoul who is committed to protecting the marine environment, its biodiversity and the livelihoods dependent on it. The successful applicant will work with EJF’s international team and partners to combat the connected problems of Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing and human trafficking in the fishing industry.
- With EJF`s international team, develop and implement a detailed advocacy plan for EJF`s activities based in Seoul
- Identify and liaise with key parliamentarians, other relevant committees and institutes to ensure resilience of EJF`s objectives in the country
- Work closely with the fishing industry and retailers to create opportunities for transparent and traceable business practices
- Organize regular meetings and events with the key partners to strengthen their response to the issues
- Coordinate and facilitate developing knowledge products on IUU fishing and human trafficking in seafood sector tailor-made to the Korean context
- Liaise with the NGO partners providing technical support and ensuring a positive growth and consistent flow of information and deliverables
- Conduct program management functions including development of monthly plans, monitor the progress according to timelines and outputs, and draft quality reports to highlight implementation of activities and impacts
- Participated in the field research and investigations
- Provide communications support to the team for media engagement as well as production of the reports and films
- Represent EJF at meetings and events where appropriate
- Be responsible for day-to-day management and administration
- Report on all work programme directly to the Directors and submit a weekly update and a monthly written report on progress, items pending and next steps.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of planning, management and implementation of programs and campaigns, preferably in the area of fisheries, sustainable environment, human rights, and development issues and concerns related to vulnerable people
- Prior experience of working in/with/through NGOs, civil society organizations, research agencies, and/or government institutions in a managerial role would be an advantage
- Prior experience of coordinating research projects and developing knowledge products would be an advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both Korean and English
- Ability to work in multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- Be passionate about protecting environment and vulnerable people.
The successful candidate will be required to sign and adhere to the EJF copyright and the confidentiality clauses outlined in the Staff Handbook. The role will be initially contracted for 6 months and reviewed.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter in English to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 31st July, 2017
Our ads also appear on Charity Jobs, Environment Jobs, as well as Environment Job.
Volunteering at EJF
EJF has opportunities for people looking to acquire new skills or utilise their experience by volunteering. You will work alongside a dedicated, ambitious team who will guide you and support you in your tasks. In return we offer travel and lunch expenses and a fun experience!
For more information, or to find out more about our current volunteering opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org