Oceans Campaigner (Taipei)
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is looking for highly motivated campaigner based in Taipei who is committed to protecting the marine environment, its biodiversity and the livelihoods dependent on it. The successful applicant will work with EJF’s international team and partners to combat the connected problems of Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated fishing and human trafficking in the seafood industry. The Campaigner will be fluent in Mandarin and English, have a working understanding of Taiwanese, and have experience working on fisheries issues, human rights or for a campaigning Non-Governmental Organisation.
The role will include, but not be limited to, the following tasks:
- Working with EJF’s international team to develop and implement a detailed advocacy plan for EJF’s activities based in Taipei.
- Identifying and liaising with key partners (Fisheries Agency, Ministry of Labour, civil society, industry, operators) as well as international partners by organising regular meetings and:
- Identifying key parliamentarians and partners outside of the Fisheries Agency and Ministry of Labour to ensure resilience of EJF’s objectives in the country.
- Increase understanding of companies involved in distant water fishing
- Meet and share information with media covering fishing, human rights and environmental issues
- Liaise closely with EJF’s partners who are working to support and document the experience of migrant fishermen in shelters and ports.
- Participate in investigations into IUU fishing and human trafficking in the wider Asian region.
- Liaise with EJF staff elsewhere in the world share knowledge and identify international trends.
- Developing EJF materials in Mandarin and Taiwanese as appropriate
- Fulfilling essential administrative tasks i.e. registering as an NGO
EJF is looking for candidates with a strong interest in the environment and human rights, preferably with work experience in relevant areas like fisheries, human rights or working for a campaigning NGO. A competitive salary will be paid. The role will initially be contracted for one year.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter in English to email@example.com. Closing date for applications: 8 May, 2017
EJF has opportunities for people looking to acquire new skills or utilise their experience by volunteering.