Regional Communications Manager – Asia
Based in Bangkok or with the ability to travel at short notice to any of the regional offices (Indonesia, Taiwan, South Korea or Japan).
Full-time / Permanent
Salary: Based upon experience.
Benefits (upon successful completion of probationary period):
- 20 days leave (and 13 statutory holidays) increasing by 2 day for each year of service.
- Potential for two days per week working from home.
- Private health insurance
As the Regional Communications Manager – Asia for the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF), you will play a lead role in building EJF’s visibility and global brand and maximising our impact on environmental security and associated human rights. Working within an international team of campaigners, researchers, filmmakers and communication specialists in Asia, you will lead and coordinate our regional communications work. You will report to the Deputy Director of Southeast Asia based in Bangkok and the Global Communications manager in the UK.
If you are an ambitious, talented professional with outstanding communications skills, superb people and project management and a passion for driving real change for environmental justice this is the role for you.
As Communications Manager, you will be working with the UK Communications Lead and the Asia regional campaign team including the Deputy Director of Southeast Asia. Ideal candidates for this position will be a highly organised, creative and collaborative. They should be willing and able to refine and deliver an ambitious communications strategy that will help EJF to achieve campaign goals and vision across the region.
You will develop and implement communications strategies for EJF’s global campaigns, building support across a range of targeted audiences. You will maximise the use and reach of EJF’s investigative films and campaign reports as well as build a broad supporter base on social media and elsewhere. You will work independently to coordinate, support, and provide authority on EJF communications with the East Asia campaign team of 4 and with the Southeast Asia campaign team of 12. You will also work closely with EJF’s graphic designer, film team and campaigners in offices across the UK, Europe, and Asia.
Ideal candidates should have the intellectual rigour to understand EJF’s campaign issues and present them in a compelling way. They should also have excellent writing and storytelling skills whilst having great attention to detail and factual accuracy.
- Plan, develop and implement communications strategies for individual campaigns and EJF as a whole to ensure the greatest possible impact and desired outcomes for this global change-making organisation.
- Lead the comms team to develop sector-leading communications that engage and inspire audiences about our campaigns across traditional and digital media platforms, ensuring appropriate, inspirational and effective messaging.
- Ensure that our internal communications are effective to bring the campaigns, comms and other team members together to share information and updates as needed. You will work with colleagues to ensure that opportunities for coverage are not missed and that our planning is smooth and effective.
- Ensure strong outreach to our target audiences in the public and private sector and to policymakers and world leaders. You will identify - and preferably experience securing coverage in - the most influential media platforms that will bring our campaigns to the attention of leading change-makers.
- Lead, guide and plan for our communications staff to maximise all campaign opportunities to drive impact for our campaigns, including:
- Writing, editing and placing compelling op-eds, press releases and briefings, ensuring they are tailored to the target audience and strongest media platforms and channels.
- Coordinating and producing high-quality impact reports, updates, briefings, blogs and speeches/presentations to engage new audiences including celebrity and high-profile supporters.
- Devising and coordinating media, press and special events such as film screenings, patron and celebrity events and like-minded business partnerships.
- Making effective use of social media to grow EJF’s exposure and support the delivery of communications strategies and campaign objectives.
- Fluent in both reading/writing and speaking skills in Thai and English
- An excellent writer/editor – including press releases, features, opinion pieces, letters to editor and blogs – particularly to meet tight deadlines
- At least three years experience leading communications teams. You are a strong people manager, with excellent interpersonal skills, able to motivate, inspire and collaborate with EJF’s communications professionals and campaigners in East Asia and Southeast Asia and the UK
- A track record in designing, prioritising and delivering media strategies and multiple comms activities that drive up the quality and quantity of media coverage
- Excellent skills in creative storytelling: producing engaging and inspiring content that delivers real-world impact
- Superb attention to detail and factual accuracy and an ability to ensure your colleagues meet the same high standards
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Experience in managing strategic relationships with external partners (corporate, high-profile individuals), you are entrepreneurial and a creative problem solver
- You are committed to changing our world for good
- Good understanding of environmental justice issues and policies, in particular within the fields of climate change and ocean conservation
- Mandarin/Chinese Language fluency
- Bahasa Indonesian Language fluency
Applications: Submit your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity, fair and equal treatment within the workplace.