EJF is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture amongst the whole workforce. We are committed as an organisation to promoting diversity and eliminating discrimination in the workplace.
This policy reinforces our commitment to providing equality and fairness to all in our employment and not provide less favourable facilities or treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation. We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
EJF mainstreams gender equality and equity through our campaigns and programmes, viewing the empowerment of vulnerable and marginalised groups as fundamental to our mission. Gender inequality is a serious and pervasive form of discrimination - affecting everyone, it is women and girls who face the most discrimination. It is a key driver of poverty and denier of women's rights, including those related to access to natural resources. Women and girls have fewer resources, less power and less influence in decision making when compared to men.
EJF is committed to giving women and girls a stronger voice for their concerns and reducing inequality especially where this contributes to environmental degradation. We pledge to ensure that women comprise half of EJF’s film and communications unit, giving us a strengthened perspective on ensuring that women and girls’ voices are listened to and acted upon.
We recognise that racism and racial inequality must be tackled within the environmental and human rights movement and that we have a responsibility to be more proactive in this work. This movement is currently not representative of wider society. We aim to proactively diversify our sector, creating accessible opportunities for members of the BAME community to enter, progress and lead. We will continue to champion the voices of the most vulnerable communities, particularly recognising that the impacts of pollution, loss of access to natural habitats and other environmental injustice often fall most heavily on minority ethnic communities, who are less likely to live in a healthy environment because of systemic racial inequalities.
All employees, no matter whether they are part-time, full-time, or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. When EJF selects candidates for employment, promotion, training, or any other benefit, it will be on the basis of their aptitude and ability. All employees will be given help and encouragement to develop their full potential and utilise their unique talents.
EJF commits to:
- Ensuring a zero tolerance approach towards all forms of discrimination.
- Creating an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all team members are recognised and valued.
- Nurturing a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for every employee.
- Eradicating any form of intimidation, bullying, or harassment, and to discipline those that breach this policy.
- Making training, development, and progression opportunities available to all staff.
- Promoting equality in the workplace, which EJF believes is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- Supporting and empower anyone who feels they have been subject to discrimination in the workplace to raise their concerns so we can apply corrective measures.
- Encouraging employees to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Regularly reviewing all our employment practices and procedures so that fairness is maintained at all times.
- Mainstreaming gender in recruitment to our campaigns, programmes and projects, and ensuring that our communications with communities and grassroots networks in particular reflect the needs and aspirations of women and girls.
EJF will inform all employees that an equality and diversity policy is in operation and that they are obligated to comply with its requirements and promote fairness in the workplace. The policy will also be drawn to the attention of funding agencies, stakeholders, and job applicants where appropriate.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.